[TriLUG] Why is Ubuntu so increasingly dominant

Allen Freeman knieveltech at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 3 22:48:50 EDT 2007

Why do I Ubuntu? Simplicity. I wanted the joys of apt with a painless install.  I do miss some of the standard features that came with pre-FC Redhat distros, but not enough to go back to tracking dependencies.

"Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver at buni.org> wrote: So I'd prefer we don't turn this into something negative, but I think if
you look around the next TriLUG meeting at Red Hat you'll see a few Macs
and a whole lot of Ubuntuists (and probably my MacBookPro with Ubuntu in
the decisive minority).  The latest TriLUG poll
(http://trilug.org/node/53) puts Ubuntu in a majority (albeit the poll
is far from fair or scientific as only people who love or hate ubuntu
are likely to answer).

I'm curious why those of you who have chosen Ubuntu have chosen it?

Myself:

1. Community: Ubuntu people had info on how to get it installed on a
MacBookPro first!
2. Installation: It installed with a high resolution (the Dapper live
CD) and wireless support with few hiccups (Feisty was less lucky)
3. Packaging: I find it really easy to get what I want when I want it
with minimum conflicts (it could be I'm lucky but I haven't had a "must
disable this repository when installing XYZ but enable it when
installing ZYX or YZX breaks..." issue as of yet).
4. Working Compromise: I love free things.  Liberty is important to
me...but being free must also include the thing functioning.  Ubuntu
seems to make sensible compromises here most of the time.  (Minus
Feisty's weird ATI issues).  Meaning "free doorstop" isn't going to make
me all warm and fuzzy.

Why do you Ubuntu (please keep your comments positive about ubuntu
rather than negative about your prior distro)?

-Andy
--
Buni Meldware Communication Suite
http://buni.org