[TriLUG] writing about a OSS project you had nothing to do with

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at buni.org
Tue Jun 5 16:54:49 EDT 2007

That is totally ethical fine and natural.  Most mature projects would
even be HAPPY and may offer help to you for writing such a book as it is
free advertising.  In fact third-party documentation is a sign of
maturity.  That being said in the early days when JBoss Group, LLC sold
documentation it did try and discourage such writing to its own
detriment.  On the other hand since most of the writing was copied from
or trivially rewording of said documentation it was easy to stop.  Today
JBoss, Inc and I suspect even more so under red hat, LOVES when people
write books.

If someone wants to write a Meldware book, today I'll probably be very
"please wait" but after 1.0 is released I'll make myself very available.
  If anyone had wanted to write a POI book, I'd have helped willingly.

I've also reviewed books for publishers on various open source projects
where the author was not strongly affiliated.

That being said, your credibility and the sell-ability of the book is
very often a function of your name recognition.  Therefore often
publishers try and recommend you be paired with someone more active in
the community unless you're a noted author in your own right.

-Andy

--
Buni Meldware Communication Suite
http://buni.org