[TriLUG] FTA -- Probably OT, but...

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Wed Jun 6 13:54:45 EDT 2007

Group,

Since we are such an eclectic group, and I think I can force a Linux
connection here ( but probably not )!

In any case, I have let this hang on too long so I thought I would see
if anybody here has any experience, or can offer connections.

To make a long story longer, in the past I have owned a "big" dish (
C-band ) and watched both analog and digital signals that way.  I
also used Hughes / DirectPC / Caldera's Linux satellite Internet
service, for several years.  When I came to the Raleigh area, I tried to
subscribe to DirecTV, but the installers kept not showing up, so I
became a Dish subscriber. ( Yes, eventually I will get to the point. ) A
couple or three years ago, I decided that I really didn't have enough
income to give a big chunk ( or at least it felt that way ) to Dish, and
cancelled.

About a year ago, I purchased an FTA ( Free-To-Air ) satellite receiver,
which I hoped to attach to either the old Dish dish and feeds or the
DirectPC dish and feed.  However, I don't seem to be able to properly
aim the dishes and get a signal consistantly or something else fails, so
I thought I would ask for help.  I don't mind doing some or most of the
work, I just need guidance.

The ( faint ) Linux connection comes through the "Program Guide" and
external control ( through a serial port ) of the receiver.

Can anyone offer any help?

Thanks,
Brian