[TriLUG] OT: early computer program that played the role of a psychologist

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Jun 7 10:45:25 EDT 2007

I'm writing something that talks about the Turing test for
human mimicry. I remember an early computer program that ran
on a teletype/console that played the role of a
psychologist. It was very simple minded but fooled many
people, who were upset when it was disconnected. I thought
the computer program's name was LISA.

Looking with google for "psychology counselling computer
program turing test" doesn't find anything.

Anyone know the computer program I'm talking about?

Joe