[TriLUG] OT: TIME WARNER ANNOUNCES INTRODUCTION OF PACKET SHAPING TECHNOLOGY NATIONWIDE

James Tuttle jjtuttle at trilug.org
Mon Jun 11 13:51:42 EDT 2007

OlsonE at aosa.army.mil wrote:
> ...read on past this article for my 2c.
>
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,18468495
>
> TIME WARNER ANNOUNCES INTRODUCTION OF PACKET SHAPING TECHNOLOGY
> NATIONWIDE
>
> June 6, 2007 -- Time Warner today implemented a network management tool
> to improve the operation of the network for all subscribers. As a
> result, a small minority of users may experience slower speeds during
> peak hours when using certain applications that consume lots of
> bandwidth. You can address this situation by reducing your use of
> bandwidth-intensive applications during peak hours. "Peak hours" are
> generally in the evenings.
>
> "Packet shaping" technology has been implemented for newsgroup
> applications, regardless of the provider, and all peer-to-peer networks
> and certain other high bandwidth applications not necessarily limited to
> audio, video, and voice over IP telephony. Road Runner reserves the
> right to implement network management tools for other applications in
> the future.
>
> Customers are reminded of the terms of our Acceptable Use Policy at
>> help.rr.com/aup:
>
> * The Road Runner service may not be used to engage in any conduct that
> interferes with Road Runner's ability to provide service to others,
> including the use of excessive bandwidth.
>
> * The Road Runner service may not be used to breach or attempt to breach
> the security, the computer, the software or the data of any person or
> entity, including Road Runner, to circumvent the user authentication
> features or security of any host, network or account, to use or
> distribute tools designed to compromise security, or to interfere with
> another's use of the Road Runner service through the posting or
> transmitting of a virus or other harmful item or to deliberately
> overload or flood that entity's system.
>
> Customers are further advised that efforts designed to circumvent our
> network management tools may be in violation of our Acceptable Use
> Policy and may result in account suspension without warning.

> ====================
>
> 2c.
>
> I don't agree with this for so many reasons ...and really wish we could
> choose between cable providers. I'd even be willing to pay MORE ...if I
> could get something like OOL (Optimum Online, for all my non
> north-eastern bretheren), or FIOS.
>
> But nooooo, the man's sticking it to me ...and I'm forced into Time
> Warner (if I want a broadband connection). I have their 8mb service
> (Premium), and after this month will be dropping it. Its not worth it. I
> hardly ever get the speeds they advertise (even if I'm on during
> non-peak hours), and my upload speeds are heavily throttled (25-50kbps)
> at best.
>
> Anyone else feel like this?
>
> /me equips Tin-Foil Hat +1
>
> ...what's to say they don't:
>
> - Change "Peak Hours" to be from 5am - 9am, and 5pm - 10pm M-F; 9am -
> [...]

I have it on good authority that some people who moved from the standard
service (5 down at 49.95/month) to Lite (1.5 down at 29.95/month) are
still getting the same 4 down service they were overpaying for.  No
guarantee about how long that might last.  I reckon it's been about 4 or
5 months, though.

jim
---Jim Tuttle