[TriLUG] OT: TIME WARNER ANNOUNCES INTRODUCTION OF PACKET SHAPING TECHNOLOGY NATIONWIDE

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Mon Jun 11 17:29:46 EDT 2007

sholton at mindspring.com wrote:
> It /used/ to be that the Internet was the home of the anti-government,
> Libertarian, zero-regulation, "It's my Internet and I do as I please
> with it, thank you" crowd.

Times have changed.  Back then, municipalities did not give
quasi-monopolies to ISP's.

How many cable modem providers operate in your neighborhood?  Ever think
that more might want to if they could?

Since the municipal (read: government) monopoly is hindering convention
market forces, the old rules no longer apply to the current Internet.