[TriLUG] OT: solar wireless mesh router

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 09:41:06 EDT 2007

Kevin,

   I'm with you. I have a good rooftop (HOA withstanding) with excellent
coverage of about 100 homes. I live off of Lake Pine in Kildaire Farm. Maybe
we can find enough people to justify a T1 somewhere and roll this out
legally. I guess the legal problems are what killed boingo although I never
followed them closely. What prototocol? 802.11n?

  On a Linux-specific note, has anyone setup Linux to share two networks? I
understand Linux supports failover to another network card but what I wanted
was load-balanced packets and for Linux to repond on the incoming network. I
tried this with Apache but could not get it to respond on the network from
which the packet came. It always responded on one network and - of course-
this is not what I wanted. More exactly:

       /----NIC1------- <-- please send/recv only on this network ---->
CPU
       \----NIC2------- <-- please send/recv only on this network ---->

    I guess we'd setup squid and allow any person who helps pay for the T1
and equipment to use the network. And encourage others to add their
POP/router to extend the network.

    I am toying with writing a distributed peer-based webserver module.
Sorta like bittorrent for the web. I've antipatented this idea on
shouldexist.org several years back and think it would be a great way to
ensure Internet control remains with the actual users rather than
centralized computing which is inherently bad both technically and civilly
IMO.

Thanks,
TimJowers