[TriLUG] making Linux look like Windows XP

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Wed Jun 13 12:43:58 EDT 2007

Cristóbal Palmer wrote:
> I discovered that outside of certain hard-science lab courses, nothing
> assigned at UNC requires the use of Windows-only software. Tell your
> son to just install Ubuntu on his CCI laptop and be done with it. In
> 2003 I wiped windows completely and stuck with debian on my CCI
> laptop. My only regret was the volume of wma-encoded music I'd
> accumulated over the course of the previous year.

If he has any apprehension about doing this, perhaps he can run Ubuntu
on the iron and the UNC Windows image in VMware.  So Windows is always
there if some course requires it, but can safely be left stored away in
some dark corner of the hard drive 99.9% of the time while working in a
sane environment.