[TriLUG] Suggested topics

Craig Taylor ctalkobt at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 22:40:00 EDT 2007

Learning ajax is fun... :-)

Tons of fun...

Just musing slightly OT:

Most Ajax libraries that I've seen implement an Ajax request function and
often support a  variety of UI 'enhancements' or components. However I have
seen very few that combine the two so that the server side can control the
client through the ajax call request. IE: I'd like to code the server side
and not have to code customized response javascript fn's each time.

Something that could be of use would be an overview of web communications,
in general and protocols from the web perspective - eg: coverage of JSON,
XML-RPC, encodings with Ajax, Post / Get data, REST etc and the advantages
and disadvantages of each.

Right now I'm using a custom script to decode the server responses and based
upon the contents of a JSON array coming back act on each of the command /
subject elements comming back.  This script then calls other javascript
libraries that I've included to show, eg: color & calendar pickers and
built-in functions to perform element hiding / showing / modifications etc.