[TriLUG] opening port 6667 on Feisty

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Jun 19 11:42:38 EDT 2007

> And Alan: I got the same 'blank' results from iptables, so it looks like
> it's not running.

Just a point of clarification, for those who have not messed with Linux
firewalls...

Iptables is a kernel filter that is built into the TCP/IP stack.  If the
modules are loaded, then each packet has to run the gauntlet of filters
in the kernel.  There is no "firewall program" that filters packets.
The firewall program (be is shorewall or my home-brew script) simply
sets up the iptables rules and then exits.

This is kind of a weird thing to get used to when you're first testing
out your firewall.  Shorewall is not running, so you can't kill it.
"service shorewall stop" does not kill a process, it just issues some
more iptables rules that'll let more packets pass through.

Now, back to our discussion about getting the IRC server to work...

Alan

.