[TriLUG] Generational differences in Free/Open Source Software

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 14:17:43 EDT 2007

On 6/19/07, Andrew C. Oliver <acoliver at buni.org> wrote:

> I don't view the world as being so flat.  I know plenty of elderly
> pragmatists and plenty of young idealists.  Go walk around the Red Hat
> campus next LUG meeting.  You'll see all ages and far more Stallmanists
> and Torvaldists.  Albeit most don't fit evenly with either.  Maybe the
> world isn't flat, states are neither red nor blue and most people are
> neither conservative nor liberal, pragmatist nor idealist...  says the
> libertarian leaning centrist.

Andy,

I agree that the world isn't nearly that flat.  However, I do believe
there is a good basis for what they claim.  Growing up around
the same time as other people can definitely affect how someone
views the world.  Take, for instance, those "child of the 80s" things
that went around a few years ago:

i.e. http://www.80smusiclyrics.com/humor.shtml

I'm not talking about political ideology or whether you're a realist or
optimist personally, but rather how someone's world view was shaped
and how that affects how they approach FOSS.

Cheers,
Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace