[TriLUG] Trying to free space from extended partition (that was in lvm)

Errol Casey amr at trilug.org
Tue Jun 19 17:03:34 EDT 2007

I successfully resized (reduced) file system and logical volume.

But due to the volume and partition being in the extended partition, there
seems I need another step to make the space available to a partition
outside the extended one (I want to grow one of the 1st 3 partitions on
the drive).

The steps/commands I've used so far to free up the space are:
e2fsck
resize2fs
lvreduce

My question is do I need to do something else with lvm?
How to I get the extended partition to let go of the space I've freed up?

I'm doing this on a system that had Fedora 6 installed. I have been using
Knoppix/Qparted and Gparted to look/change partition information.