[TriLUG] official trilug vehicle

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Thu Jun 21 14:02:45 EDT 2007

J.C. Jones wrote:
> More power to you. How do you like Kubuntu? I have stuck with standard
> Ubuntu for most things, but I have one install of Mepis ( which I think
> is a kde version of ubuntu -- not sure of that though )

I know you didn't ask me, but I've been in love with kubuntu for awhile,
and moreso recently.  The feisty release of kubuntu is just fantastic.
If you're using the native KDE apps for most things, the performance is
a lot better than using firefox/thunderbird/rhythmbox/OO.o/etc under
gnome on the same hardware.

koffice, kmail, and konqueror are not as mature and feature-rich as
their more noteworthy counterparts.  kmail does have some nice stuff
going for it.  Nice integration with several anti-spam and anti-virus
tools, and GnuPG, for example.

konqueror doesn't work so well with ajax-heavy web sites like GMail.
Initially I was going to blame Konqueror for that shortcoming but it
looks to be a Google-ended problem because if you spoof your user agent
to make it look like IE or Firefox, GMail comes up fine.  Bad Google!

konqueror does have some awesome capabilities, though, that you won't
find in Firefox or IE.  If I put an audio CD into my machine and let
konqueror open it up, I see the songs listed as WAV files plus I see
folders for ogg, flac, mp3, etc.  I can go into the flac folder, and see
all the songs in there in flac format.  Which means all I have to do is
drag them from the FLAC folder of the CD onto my hard disk and konqueror
will rip & tag my CD's into flac files with all the cddb tags populated.
 Fantastic!  Since I'm using amarok as my music library, it
automatically detects the new files in the music folder and imports the
metadata into the collection so they are available immediately as soon
as konqueror is finished encoding each individual track.

If you tend to gripe about OO.o taking a long time to start up then you
will like how fast koffice apps start.  koffice is great if you're just
using the more basic features of an office suite, and if you're not
sharing files very often with other people.  Unfortunately I don't think
koffice is great for collaborating with people who use other office
suites right now (OO.o is better at this).

I think after KDE4 comes out you're going to see a bunch of KDE apps
ported to run natively under OSX and Windows so you will probably see a
lot more development activity in KDE when this happens.  It's already
been announced that the next major release of amarok will run natively
on OS X and Windows.