[TriLUG] can't unmount nfs exported fs

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Jun 22 18:57:50 EDT 2007

I have an external usb disk which I use as backup. I mount
it under /backup on the local machine. No problems, can
rw and umount it (`umount /backup`) when I'm done.

It's useful to use the same external usb disk to backup
other machines. I then export (nfs) /backup to another
machine and mount it there (say as
/name_of_local_machine/backup) and write to it. When I'm
done I umount it on the remote machine (it's gone, looking
with `mount` and `df`). Fine so far.

Now I want to `umount /backup` as on the local machine as
before so I can unplug the usb drive. However now I can't
umount it on the local machine (device is busy). `lsof |
grep backup` on the local machine doesn't show anything
owning it.

My solution so far has been to reboot the local machine.
This is getting to be a pain.

Is this supposed to happen (surely not)? Do I have a hosed
system? Any cures, suggestions where to look?

Thanks Joe