[TriLUG] vi vs emacs

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Jun 26 18:39:04 EDT 2007

Wing D Lizard wrote:

> To me, vi is a text editor -- but emacs is a development tool.  There
> are extensions
> to both that allow you to do some pretty complex things, lots of
> customization.
> But emacs wins out.

This is kind of what I've heard from emacs users, although I've never
taken the time to learn emacs myself.  I have used xemacs (which i
realize is a separate branch) a few times many years ago before gvim was
around, and liked the syntax highlighting and multiple windows that were
available then.

I will point out that I've even seen Tanner, one of the more die-hard
emacs supporters in TriLUG, use vi.  He must have to admit it's a
necessary evil sometimes, since vi is almost guaranteed to be there, and
emacs isn't.  That fact pretty much ensures that any *nix sysadmin must
learn at least the basics of vi.

Right now I'm attempting to teach myself Eclipse but I haven't gotten
very far.

In reality both vi and emacs are too obscure for beginning users, and
for Linux to become more mainstream, we need to make sure "WYSIWYG"
editors like nano are easily available.

--Jeremy