[TriLUG] Customizing Ubuntu for UNC, got a T60p?

Cristóbal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 21:51:27 EDT 2007

On 6/27/07, Michael Hrivnak <mhrivnak at hrivnak.org> wrote:
> I believe that one you are booted into an Ubuntu CD, you can install packages
> from any of the usual Ubuntu repositories just like you're on a normal
> installtion.  I suspect that you can install whatever extra drivers you need
> at that time, just as you would after doing a hard-drive install.

While this is true, you have to:

(1) Be comfortable with the fact that you've been dumped at a bash
prompt after X dies an ugly segfault death (the vesa driver that it
tries to default to segfaults).
(2) know what packages you're looking for to get a working driver.

This is a showstopper for the vast majority of students. There's a
reason I want Ubuntu--THEY want Ubuntu. Here's the workaround that I
pasted into that bug report I mentioned:

(1) boot liveCD, X fails as described.
(2) at shell prompt, sudo -s
(2a) apt-get update
(2b) apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx fglrx-control

Whoops.. I think I forgot a "depmod -a" here? Can't remember if that's
necessary.

(2c) dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
(3) SKIP autodetection
(4) select fglrx, resolution of 1680x1050 @ 75Hz (medium detail)

That's here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/118225

And again, this is all because of a lack of openness on the part of
ATI. If you can avoid the Mobility FireGL v5250, do so.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
administrator!!! please hope me!