[TriLUG] Multithreaded Apps

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Thu Jun 28 09:39:43 EDT 2007

As for the original question: the SMP kernel lets you run two different
processes, each taking nearly all of one processor. So if all you're doing
is a single instance of, say, OpenOffice, it's not particularly helppful,
although in theory background services might be moved off to the second
processor. But if, say, you're running a statistical or compiling process
while running OO, that's when the second processor would help you.

The flash issue is a 64-bit issue: Adobe hasn't released a version for
64-bit linux. You can, as another respondent suggested, install firefox-32
to just run it in a 32-bit environment; or, unless you need the extra
per-process memory the 64-bit environment provides, you can run a 32-bit
SMP kernel on the machine with essentially the same performance. That's
what I do at home.

Andy

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu - http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Associate Professor of Sociology; Book Review Editor, _Social Forces_
University of North Carolina - CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA