[TriLUG] Moving beyond pine

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 10:14:59 EDT 2007

On 6/29/07, Andrew Perrin <clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu> wrote:
> All right folks, this is an advice request.
>
> I've been using pine for email since about 1992. I like certain things
> about it, but frankly I prefer GUI-ish mail interfaces such as
> thunderbird. What's holding me back are two minor but irritating, related
> issues:
>
> 1. I like pine's saved folder rule that puts outgoing email, by default,
> in a folder named after the recipient's email address (stripped of
> domain). This is very intuitive to me, and lets me quickly grep for
> whatever I need. I haven't seen other clients do this.

Have you tried the new Thunderbird's full text search?  It's fairly good
and might alleviate this concern some.  Other than that, this sounds
like it would make a really good Thunderbird addon.

> 2. Relatedly, I have 15 years worth of saved messages in such format, and
> it woulld be absolutely imperative that I be able to access them with
> whatever new reader I choose.

Pine, by default, stores in mbox format which is the same format
Thunderbird uses.  It should be fairly easy to move them over.
The only issue would be getting Thunderbird to see them and index
them.

Cheers,
Tanner
--