[TriLUG] Sound Processing

burnett at pobox.com burnett at pobox.com
Tue Jul 10 10:18:07 EDT 2007

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Brian McCullough wrote:

> I have an issue that has been causing me a great deal of grief over the
> past while.
>
> I have some sound files ( telephone recordings ) that have a VERY loud
> 60-Hz hum.  They are, at the moment MP3 files, but were WAVs coming out
> of the recorder.
>
> I am wondering if anybody has and bright ideas for inserting a
> 180 degree out of phase signal to cancel the hum, or any other ideas to
> clean up these files.
>
> ( The hum seems to be being inserted inside my machine, although I am
> willing to accept suggestions for correcting future meeting recordings,
> as well as correcting the old recordings. )

For a commercial and non-Linux solution, I use Sound Soap on OS X to clean
recordings. It has specific 50 and 60Hzremoval settings, as well as other
more general options. It's done me a great deal of good.

http://www.bias-inc.com/products/soundSoap2/

Market blurb follows:
"Mac OS X, Windows XP, Windows Vista, application, plug-in, you name it.
This cross-platform, multi-format powerhouse includes Audio Units,
RTAS/AudioSuite, and VST plug-in formats."

If you're interested, send me an email offlist and I can process a sample
for you for a test.

Steve B