[TriLUG] Shopping for new laptop...

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Jul 11 19:30:19 EDT 2007

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 15:47:12 -0400 "Jason Faulkner" wrote:

> We've had AMAZING luck here with getting good value with the Dell
> Latitude 131L. It's their "entry level" lat, but it's actually a bit
> lighter than the D8[2,3]0 and pretty nice. Has AMD Turion X2 procs.
> Nice setup.

I've been a ThinkPad user for many years but since Lenovo no longer
seems to sell [W]UXGA laptops, I recently made the switch to Dell and
got a D820.  Its running Fedora x86_64 quite nicely:

  http://eh3.com/dell_D820.html

A number of folks I know have D820 or D620 systems and they work nicely
with Linux.  Also, given the choice, I'd avoid Broadcom wifi chipsets
and prefer the Intel 3945.  And the Intel graphics are also very well
supported by the open source drivers.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD  |  ed at eh3.com  |  http://eh3.com/