[TriLUG] Shopping for new laptop...

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Jul 11 21:19:41 EDT 2007

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

>> 1) I'd prefer going AMD;  is there a problem or caveat if I go with one
>> of their 64-bit X2 chips?

most (all?) dual core processors don't have any more
bandwidth to memory than the single cores. This means that
if one core is running an app acessing memory then the other
core has to run out of cache, if it's going to run at all.
But then dual core doesn't cost a whole lot more, even if
you can't use it all the time.

Joe