[TriLUG] Shopping for new laptop...

Tom Eisenmenger teisenmenger at charter.net
Thu Jul 12 11:09:53 EDT 2007

Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments - I'm slowly
digesting it all.  From what I can tell, the general thinking is that
the proc doesn't really matter as long as it's fast enough for my
purposes, that I should look for something other than Broadcom
wireless if possible, that ATI is the least preferred graphics proc
(although I'll admit it's been fine on my current Dell when running
the "Radeon" driver), and that 2 gigs ram is the way to go.  Sadly,
I've discovered that most machines sport 1 gig and they use both
slots to achieve dual-channel.

The Inspiron 1505 is high on my list, although part of the
justification of the purchase is to become acquainted with Vista.
Hmmmm...  Maybe I could go with one of Dell's Ubuntu boxes to let
them know that it was a great marketing decision on their part to
offer that as an option, then install Vista separately.  I might even
be able to get a copy of WinV via Chowan U's licensing agreement.

Not to hijack my own thread, but does anyone know how well Dell's
Ubuntu offerings are selling?

Tom