[TriLUG] Centos command line question

Craig Taylor ctalkobt at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 15:56:07 EDT 2007

I haven't messed with setterm on pennyOS but most issues like this are
related to what the $TERM variable is set to. Most commonly it's either
'xterm' or something along the lines of 'vt220' etc.

Try doing an  'export TERM=xterm' and seeing if the bold starts appearing.
It may not be set on the console based upon how the console is being
initialized. I'm not sure of the exact console terminal emulation sequence
but I believe that it can be told what console identification string to
return. If there is no match, or it fails to recognize the console query
sequence then you'll end up with an empty TERM variable.

Hope this helps,

- Craig Taylor