[TriLUG] looking for wifi client gui

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Fri Jul 13 22:34:49 EDT 2007

Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, Cristóbal Palmer wrote:
>
>> On 7/13/07, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
>>
>> I've found wifi-radar (which I haven't yet installed). I've
>> also seen mention of ubuntu's network-admin, but I haven't
>> found the source to download yet.
>
> Perhaps you mean NetworkManager?
>
> no. NetworkManager seemed to be a loop without a gui that fired up
> wpa_supplicant whenever the connection dropped. But since I never lost
> my connection I couldn't see the point and forgot about it.
>
> Joe

You need to run NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher.  Network
Manager will do exactly what you want it to do.    It should put a
network icon in your information notification area in the gnome task
bar.  From there you can see your network connections and what networks
are available to connect to.  Also if you have a wired connection and
unplug it, NetworkManager will switch automatically to the wireless.  If
it finds a wireless network that you have previously connected to,it
will connect automagically.  There's also NetworkManager-VPNC and
NetworkManager-Openvpn if you need to connect to Cisco or OpenVPN
networks.   There's also a KDE version.

Also you could run the Network config gui from System--_Administration
menu in gnome, which will allow you to set up different locations.

Matt P.