[TriLUG] OT: anyone interested in a bulk bid on Netgear FS524?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Jul 14 18:09:58 EDT 2007

(If this isn't kosher on the ml please let me know)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220130549674&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012

Shipping is about $10 a piece. I've been buying them for
about $35 ea (incl S&H) in onsies. I'm assuming we can get
them for less in bulk (maybe $20-25, incl S&H). If you're
interested contact me off-list. Tell me how many you want
and how much you're prepared to pay (delivered price) for
each.

These are all used (which in my experience means they were
working when pulled) which is better than refurbs (which
stopped working at one time, which usually means there was a
manufacturing defect in the unit). There isn't anything
(beyond a fan) that can wear out. Other than lightning
strikes I've never had a switch go (and then they only loose
the port that's connected to the longer pieces of cable).
Switches live in friendly environments.

If have no financial interest in this beyond getting a
bargain. While $20-25 is a reasonable bargain, they aren't a
steal. Here a prices for new units with a one year warrantee
from Intrex

http://www.intrex.com/parts/parts.aspx

I'll test the units. If they work on arrival, they should be
good as long as 100Mbps ethernet is around. All I'll
guarantee is that they work when they leave the house here.
You can test them here if you want. If I'm going to have to
return a unit that doesn't work when it gets to your house,
I'll need to know within a couple of days of their arrival
here. You can pick them up when you want, or maybe a few
people can pick up the units for your area (I live in
Durham, work in RTP) and pass them on.

I won't have time for multiple rounds of checking people's
prices. I'll just accept your offer and leave it at that. In
the unlikely situation of having more people interested than
there are units, then the botton person will just get
dropped off the list (I'll try to let you know, if there's
time).

I'll give you my e-bay login name and you can watch the
bidding if you're interested and you can phone/email me in
the last half hour if you want to change your bid (only in
the up direction).

Thanks
Joe