[TriLUG] Password Security

Kevin Flanagan flanagannc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 21:14:15 EDT 2007

With a decent system you can have a shared password that is only partially
written down, here's how we managed passwords for over a hundred systems
across 6 admins.

All passphrases were a two part deal.

part 1
    a "magic word" for the site or group of systems, must be 8 characters,
not one word.
    This part can be kept in a list in your wallet, system/group and magic
word
   IE: BigCustomerOne

Part 2
    a date, surrounded by dollar signs.  IE: $17-Nov-1957$
    This is communicated around, usually by email, every month when it's
changed.

Resulting password:  BigCustomerOne$17-Nov-1957$

The two parts of the passphrase are never in the same place.

This scheme worked pretty well, that way you could carry around a list of
two things, with no context, and have the other half of the message in your
head, assemble the full one on demand.

It worked for us....

Kevin