[TriLUG] Certifications (was RHCE)

Mike Shaw mdshaw89 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 16:18:37 EDT 2007

So far I have let mine lapse(if they expire at all), i.e I have a Solaris 8
Sysadmin and Network Admin cert that has lapsed.  I don't plan to ever work
on Solaris again or at least Solaris 8 again unless I am laid-off and need
to go work for the gubernment.  ;)

In reality I have found that a cert only helped me get an interview or
hopefully bumped me a little above the next candidate.  If I need to show I
have X knowledge and my experience or degree doesn't show that or show
enough, then there is where the cert I think the cert will help.  Otherwise
if you can get a degree and or specific experience then you are better off.
It seems to me that companies nowadays are cheap and don't what to train
anyone, so if you can walk in with the specific XYZ knowledge/experience
they need and convey to them you have XYZ knowledge/experience, then you are
good to go!

Of course, YMMV.

--
"Darn bushes yowling at me again." - Old Man Wickles in Scooby Doo 2:
Monsters Unleashed