[TriLUG] Certifications (was RHCE)

David A. Cafaro dac at trilug.org
Wed Jul 25 09:50:38 EDT 2007

I have a RHCE based on RH9/RHEL3 that I have not up'd to the latest
RedHat release.  I have also had a CCNA which I let expire.  I don't
know if I will ever renew either, as of now I'm happy with my job and
just having the older RHCE here makes them happy (they know I know
more about Linux than most everyone else here, which is not the same
as knowing everything about linux).  As of now I have never renewed
any of my certs.  Not because they weren't worth it, I just didn't
need to and didn't have the time to study.

If I had a lot of spare time I would like to get renew my RHEL or a
get a CISSP.  Both of these would just be a good structured way to
learn more about two fields I'm interested in that I may not normally
deal with every day on the job.  Along that line, I would be
interested in a CCNP, but it's really not needed where I work and
again is just to learn more about something I don't normally deal with.

Currently I'm focusing on getting my MS in Computer Science.  Again,
I don't need it, but it's paid for by work and is a great way to
learn things I may not deal with all the time.

Cheers,
David