[TriLUG] Compatibility

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Sat Jul 28 18:48:21 EDT 2007

On 7/27/07, Jason Watts <jsnonzzr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I appreciate the info, I probly should have started there.
>
> I skim a couple of the reviews after it was sugested, and found the one
> saying bad signal strenght, and then two saying great card, easy to install,
> no native linux drivers.  I will look some more.
>
> What do those on the lug suggest for ease of install and relativly cheap for
> 802.11g ?

I have a preference for Ralink cards, since the rt2500 chipsets have
entirely free drivers with no binary blobs.  You may have to compile
the drivers yourself since some distros do not include them for some
reason.  Also, the rt2500 chipsets have native WPA support, so they do
not use wpa_supplicant.  This is good and bad.  It's nice and easy to
configure, but consequently it does not work with Network Manager.  It
does work well in Ubuntu, though:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/RalinkRT2500

Here is the driver project page:

http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

There is a good list of Ralink cards in a variety of formats here:

http://ralink.rapla.net/

I bought a Foxconn WLL-3350 PCI card from Newegg for about $20 and it
works great in Linux and *BSD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833194001R

--
Chess Griffin