[TriLUG] OT- The death of TV?

Kevin J. mrkevinj at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 2 16:08:13 EDT 2007

That's true, but that's more of a vertical integration which will enable services such as IPTV to travel directly from the content provider (via some arrangement between a telco/broadband provider and a broadcaster such as Viacom) to the end-user. You're still going to be limited, in theory, to only the shows being offered by the content provider. Obviously you will be able to get to any site on the Web, but the video quality is not going to be DVD or higher-quality due to server-side bandwidth issues.

There isn't much money long-term in providing bandwidth so the successful companies will need to own content as well (hence the re-formation of the AT&T behemoth...and the basis of the whole "Net Neutrality" argument.) From what I understand, AT&T is attempting to quickly ramp up their bandwidth around the country, partly due to a FCC stipulation to better serve rural areas; and also to be able to fully leverage their vertical integration strategy.

Most of the world will likely never have FTTH, but they are a ready market for streaming videos. However, the bandwidth needed to maintain the growth curve of streaming video sites is immense (YouTube alone reportedly pays over $1 million/mo. for bandwidth) which poses problems for sustainability.

It's a very interesting dilemma actually as it seems obvious to me anyway that TV is about to undergo a dramatic shift. As bandwidth to the home continues to increase it becomes possible for everyone to be a producer. The bandwidth issue will get worse, but I think P2P will answer most of those problems. There is a very good discussion of this online at http://www.oculture.com/2007/07/free_podcasts_of_university_courses_75_courses_and_growing.html under the Computer Science section. It's called "The Future of the Internet". Unfortunately, they locked it up in iTunes which really sucks (if you get a chance, petition them to put these lectures in straight mp3 format as well and/or upload them to miro, the open source "iTunes".)

Personally, I think it's wonderful. Eventually it becomes almost meaningless for the Murdoch's of the world to consolidate media empires because people will become more savvy (hopefully) about where they get their information. It's odd to look back and think that one day I'd have access to over 200 channels of programming on TV, yet gain almost NOTHING of value from any of them. Conversely, I can go on to miro or stumblevideo.com and find more informative and entertaining programming in five minutes than I would get in a week from normal TV.

Kevin