[TriLUG] looking for advice for physically small PC for router, dhcpd/named, firewall

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Aug 2 19:32:00 EDT 2007

I need

o at least 3 ethernet ports

o USB connector for backup of configs

o PS and case (ready to go)

o pcmcia would be nice for wifi card

don't need

o video card

price is not critical (won't make or break the project), but
small (about laptop) size is important.

I don't know if I'll need a hard disk yet (would be nice if
I didn't, but it may be needed to backup some of the
machines on the network).

The Soekris 5501

http://www.soekris.com/net5501.htm

looks nice.

There are machines made by stacking subunits on 4 rods,
leggo style, but they were expensive, you had to supply your
own box, and I've forgotten the name.

The soekris has a choice of SATA or ATA connectors for a
2.5" drive. Anyone have an idea in 5yrs whether there'll be
any more ATA drives? Should I go with SATA?

Anyone have any other units they're happy with (or know
about)?

Thanks Joe