[TriLUG] Linux Notebook / OT: Windows Experience Index

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Mon Aug 6 13:19:32 EDT 2007

Most of the time on a clean/factory install of a notebook.  Gparted in
the knoppix disk will shrink a ntfs partition will no ill effects, thus
saving the reinstall portion, and downloading/reloading of all drivers.
I do this well Dell's all the time, although I boot them from Knoppix
and shrink them before I ever boot them with windows.  I have
consistently been able to do it after booting windows by defragging a
couple of times.  I've never lost any data, as alway ymmv.

Matt P.

Tom Eisenmenger wrote:
> Hi Anderson,
>
> Thanks for the tip!  Unfortunately, part of the justification for a
> new notebook is that I feel I have to at least be familiar with Vista
> so that I can intelligently answer student and/or client questions
> about it.  As it stands, I purchased a Gateway MT-6841, have already
> wiped it and reinstalled Vista in a smaller partition to get rid of
> the crapware in one fell swoop.  Next is to install Mint Linux, my
> current fave.
>
> Thanks for everyone's help and comments!
>
> Tom
>
> On Aug 5, 2007, at 6:43 PM, Anderson Silva wrote:
>

>> I bought a laptop from http://www.allaroundgeeks.com/ - the
>> hardware it
>> comes with works well with linux. I've used: Ubuntu 7.04 , Fedora 7
>> and
>> currently running RHEL 5 on it.
>>
>> The guys from AGG will actually ship the computer with Ubuntu pre-
>> installed.
>> The price is good, and the I am pretty happy with the hardware.
>>
>> AS
>>
>> On 8/5/07, Tom Eisenmenger <teisenmenger at charter.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> You may remember my asking for recommendations on technologies to
>>> look
>>> for or avoid in a budget notebook purchase.  You may be interested
>>> that
>>> I am opting for one of three Gateway notebooks, all Intel-based
>>> (specs
>>> are from www.gateway.com:
>>>
>>> MT-6841:  2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo T2450 2MB L2 Cache 533MHz FSB, Intel
>>> 945GM chipset, 2GB Dual-Channel RAM @ 667MHz, Intel GMA 950 video,
>>> 160G
>>> 5400RPM SATA HD
>>>
>>> M-6816:  1.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 2MB L2 Cache 667MHz FSB, Intel
>>> 965GM chipset, 2GB RAM @ 667MHz, Intel GMA X3100 video, 160G 5400RPM
>>> PATA HD (Best Buy says it's SATA)
>>>
>>> M-6817:  1.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 2MB L2 Cache 667MHz FSB, Intel
>>> 965GM chipset, 2GB RAM @ 667MHz, Intel GMA X3100 video, 250G
>>> 4200RPM SATA
>>> HD
>>>
>>> While in the stores, if a machine wasn't locked down I'd run
>>> Start->Control Panel->Performance Index to get the "Windows
>>> Experience
>>> Index".  This is where things get interesting...
>>>
>>> MT-6841:
>>> Processor:  4.7
>>> Memory: 4.6
>>> Graphics: 3.1
>>> Gaming Graphics: 3.1
>>> Hard Drive: 4.8
>>>
>>> I'd also tested the MT-6840 which is, as far as I can tell,
>>> IDENTICAL to
>>> the 6841 except it has only 1GB of RAM (2x512).  I got these WEI
>>> numbers:
>>>
>>> MT-6840:
>>> Processor:  4.7
>>> Memory: 4.5
>>> Graphics: 3.2
>>> Gaming Graphics: 3.1
>>> Hard Drive: 4.7
>>>
>>> Notice how the Memory score dips as you would expect in comparison to
>>> the 6841, but the Graphics score actually increases a bit and the
>>> Hard
>>> Drive score dips!  Why would this be the case?
>>>
>>> Now, on to their newer models...
>>>
>>> M-6816:
>>> Processor:  4.6
>>> Memory: 4.5
>>> Graphics: 3.4
>>> Gaming Graphics: 3.5
>>> Hard Drive: 4.7
>>>
>>> M-6817:
>>> Processor:  4.6
>>> Memory: 4.5
>>> Graphics: 3.4
>>> Gaming Graphics: 3.5
>>> Hard Drive: 5.1
>>>
>>> Why would the supposedly slower-spinning hard drive in the 6817 score
>>> significantly higher in the WEI, especially when Gateway suggests
>>> it's a
>>> PATA, not SATA, drive?  My suspicions are as follows:
>>> 1) Gateway published the 4200RPM figure mistakenly.
>>> 2) Gateway intended to install 4200RPM drives but was supplied