[TriLUG] Automatix, Ubuntu, & Linux in General

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 7 17:10:14 EDT 2007

Jason Evans wrote:
> What would be a good alternative to Automatix?  I can see the potential issues of using software that doesn't handle apt correctly and can damage a system, but I also wouldn't have heard of certain apps like VirtualBox if I didn't use it.
>
> Jason

Hi Jason,

I haven't seen it suggested yet, but one possibility would be to just
use Automatix to explore the programs and other stuff people have been
asking about.  But use it only to identify what you want, not install.

Then you can open the Synaptic package manager and do a search on all
repositories to see if those items are available somewhere.  If they
are, install away.

If they aren't, then it's time to search for the programs' home pages
and see if there's a debian package to install from.  The alternative is
to let Automatix do the install and hope for the best...  But it may
make it difficult to perform an upgrade the next time a new version of
Ubuntu is released.

Perhaps all of the attention it's getting will lead to a cleaned up
version of Automatix, or equivalent.

--
Scott C.