[TriLUG] Awk question

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Tue Aug 7 17:14:05 EDT 2007

Mark Freeze wrote:
> When 'sort' gave us this type of performance we started looking for a
> way to speed up the packet summarization (Did I just create a word?)
> step.  MySQL is currently taking around 5 hours to analyze and
> summarize around 40,000 records into 15,000 records.  A friend of ours
> said that he thought that a combination of sort and awk would perform
> this task without a hitch.  (The only hitch being that I don't know
> anything about awk.)

Gracious.  Sounds like you desperately need some indexes on your tables.
 No way should that work be taking that long.  Have you analyzed what
you are doing and applied appropriate indexes to the mysql tables?

--[Lance]
--
 Celebrate The Circle   http://www.celebratethecircle.org/
 Carolina Spirit Quest  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/