[TriLUG] Earthlink's namesevers suX0Rz. Need alternates

Rob Lockhart rlockhar at trilug.org
Thu Aug 9 23:13:54 EDT 2007

On 8/8/2007 10:35 AM EST, Mark Turner wrote:
> Folks,
>
> [SNIP]
>
> I'm pretty sure this breaks an RFC somewhere, but more than that
> it's plain annoying. Has anyone got two nameservers I can use
> instead of Earthlink's?
>
> For reference, here are the broken Earthlink ones:
>
> nameserver 207.69.188.185
> nameserver 207.69.188.186
> nameserver 207.69.188.187

Google is your friend.

Google "earthlink DNS" and it was the 1st link: First hit:
http://www.google.com/search?q=earthlink+DNS+server

http://kb.earthlink.net/case.asp?article=187117

>From the page:

In rare circumstances DNS error page routing may cause problems for
some EarthLink customers running various speciality programs or
services.  As a work around, EarthLink provides two DNS addresses
that do not route to our EarthLink/Yahoo! error page.  These DNS
addresses can be used as a means of opting out of the error
re-routing service.* *

207.69.188.172 (East Coast)
207.69.188.171 (West Coast)

These DNS addresses must be hardcoded either into the network
settings of your connection or on to your router or UHP DSL modem.
Customers east of the Mississippi should set the East Coast server as
the primary DNS server and the West Coast server as the secondary DNS
server. Customers west of the Mississippi should set the West Coast
server as the primary DNS server and the East Coast server as the
secondary DNS server. For instructions on how to hardcode the above
DNS settings into your network connection follow the links below.