[TriLUG] One Laptop Per Child, Reviewed by 12-Year-Old

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 15:50:21 EDT 2007

Interesting article on Ed Felten's blog this afternoon:

One Laptop Per Child, Reviewed by 12-Year-Old
http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=1187

Short synopsis as I read it: The hardware is great, but
could use a bit more battery power.  The software,
however, needs some work.  To quote from the article:

"My main problem with this laptop is how very slow
it is. It's true that I am used to faster computers, but
that's not the problem. It's just really slow. I had to
wait two minutes to get onto one application. That's
just a little longer than I can accept."

So, on a similar subject, we've had a "Sugar Hackfest"
on the wiki for a long time with no date. (For those that
don't know what "Sugar" is, it's the software inside the
OLPC.)  Is that something the LUG would be interested
in?  Should we actually pursue that or just remove it from
the wiki?

Cheers,
Tanner
--