[TriLUG] Code of Conduct

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Mon Aug 13 12:06:23 EDT 2007

William Sutton wrote:
> So what exactly are the problems we're trying to address?  apparently I
> didn't understand why this is necessary.

It seems rather personal and subjective at this point.  Some of the
people most vocally in favor of adjusting behaviors here, either through
CoC or other means, are the same ones as I would perceive as having the
most childish behavior patterns on the mailing list and IRC channel.

It is particularly troubling to me that at least one of the people who
will be given teeth by this CoC is likely guilty of provoking quite a
lot of trouble himself.

I am not unaware of my own reputation in this group, whether earned or
blown out of proportion by word of mouth.  I've always been strongly of
the opinion that TriLUG should honor its roots and continue to police
itself.  This is *not* a professional organization, nor was it ever
meant to be.  This is a community of enthusiasts, and as such we are
enthusiastic about our opinions.

The CoC itself is a very subjective document, evidenced by one of its
most vocal supporters being one of the most trollish provocateurs in
TriLUG.  And as borish as I find that behavior, I wouldn't want to eject
such a person from the LUG when they can continue to contribute positive
things to the LUG community as well.

Can you imagine what the FOSS community would be if a CoC were adopted
by projects such as OpenBSD?  It would set UNIX/Linux security back 10
years.  Do you think Linux Torvalds would be silenced by a CoC?

It works for Ubuntu.  Ubuntu started out with this sort of culture.
TriLUG has a longer history with a much different (and much more
diverse) culture that should be preserved, warts and all.