[TriLUG] Time to Fork TriLUG?

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Mon Aug 13 15:00:05 EDT 2007

I brought this question over from the other contentious CoC thread,
because I think it deserves to stand on its own.

Many members feel they have been left out by the move to Red Hat's HQ,
by how far meetings are from their home or place of employment, or for a
number of other reasons.

Some are quite vocally in favor of bringing a more professional code of
conduct to the LUG, while others prefer sticking to the informally
self-policed roots of the LUG.

Instead of fighting all this out, I think it's high time to ask another
question: is it time for TriLUG to fork?

Should we be having smaller more localized (and locally run) groups in
each of the various towns in the area?  Should these new groups be run
as professional organizations or as loose groups of friends?  And
shouldn't these groups be answering their own questions at the local
level rather than falling under the umbrella of this huge mothership
organization two counties away?

I'm not saying I have any definitive answers to any of these, except
that we ought to be considering the possibility that we're overlooking
what could be the most peaceful resolution to all of the challenges the
LUG faces today: a fork.