[TriLUG] (CoC Discussion) Better ways of doing things...

Israel J. Pattison pattison at usa.com
Tue Aug 14 13:19:38 EDT 2007

Regarding the 'Code of Conduct' discussion:

1)  Could we take more time in consideration rather than jumping into this
immediately?  How much difference would it make to adopt this proposal in
December than in September?

2)  Can we have a committee review this proposal before it comes before the
entire membership?  Would their input better represent the TriLUG community
while holding down the signal-to-noise ratio?

3)  Would the problem go away if we forked the mailing list into moderated
and unmoderated lists? Would the moderated list turn into the premium TriLUG
offering where people got the best quality advice?  Wouldn't it be nice to
know we could "let it all hang out" on the unmoderated list?

Consider appointing a committee.  Charge them with providing monthly updates
to the LUG at meetings and by the mailing list.  Allow several months for
the contentious issues to be handled with diplomacy.  Every member should be
given ample opportunity to vote (if that's how it *really* is to be done --
please check the Articles of Incorporation) even if it means voting over
several meetings.

I surely want what's best for our group and our members, and I know that we
welcome people from many different backgrounds and ideologies into our
group.  It would be unfortunate if we acted impulsively such that the very
nature of the group changed.  Prudence suggests that we take our time
considering weighty determinations, and fairness dictates that everyone with
a stake in the outcome be given the chance to respond.

Regards,

Israel J Pattison