[TriLUG] Code of Conduct

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Aug 14 23:18:52 EDT 2007

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Cristóbal Palmer wrote:

> On 8/14/07, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:

>> Are you proposing a CoC because of your success as a
>> moral authority or because you want the S.C. to have more
>> power?

> Please read our several responses already sent to this
> list.

I have read every posting on this topic thank you very much.
Please don't presume to know what's happening at my end of
the conversation.

> This is not a helpful or remotely accurate criticism.

Quite true, it's a question. If someone wants authority over
my behaviour, I'd like to know on what basis they they want
it.

At the moment no-one involved with this proposal has claimed
any success or experience using authority over people's
behaviour.

An S.C. composed of people unqualified, but wanting to
exercise power over member's behaviour sounds like a power
grab. I wonder what these people want the power for. The
absense of guaranteed checks and balances, would indicate
that the S.C. doesn't expect to be accountable for their
uses of the power.

> If you have constructive criticism, please offer it. If
> you would like to hear more about the CoC and LCoC in
> person,

there's no need to come in person. I can hear quite well on
the mailing list.

I haven't started criticising yet. I'm still waiting on
answers to my questions. eg what behaviours are being
exhibited on the mailing list that need a CoC?

I've noticed people complain bitterly when topics that are
not FOSS are posted without an "OT". Are members of the S.C.
excepted from this requirement?

Joe