[TriLUG] [OT] iSCSI SAN recomendations

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Wed Aug 15 08:40:51 EDT 2007

We just implemented a SAN at our corporate office, around 6TB I
believe.  We looked at EMC, Lefthand Networks, and NetApp.  Lefthand
would be good for a small SAN/NAS, like 4TB, but I think it wouldn't be
as good a choice at 30TB.  I really liked NetApp, it was technically my
choice, unfortunately more expensive and probably overkill for what my
corporate office needed.  We ended up with a EMC NS350.  So far I like
it ok, I don't use it enough to tell, plus I have nothing to compare it
to.  Plus it's only been in production for a couple of months. Right now
it's doing CIF, NFS, iSCSI.   Keep in mind the SAN/NAS you need at 4TB
may/is different than at 30TB.  Initially you will be overbuying to get
a box that will keep up as you add disks.  Make sure management realizes
this, otherwise you won't be comparing apples to apples, and someone
will try to steer the project towards a 4TB unit that might not scale.
Also the one thing I really disliked about NetApp is every little thing
is another cost.  EMC as well but not as much.

Matt Pusateri