[TriLUG] [OT] iSCSI SAN recomendations

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Wed Aug 15 08:45:38 EDT 2007

bak wrote:
> Hey Chris,
>
> Not to start the whole NAS vs. SAN thing, but when you say you are
> interested in "serving up files, smb
> shares, home directories, ftp and backups", isn't it a NAS that you're
> really looking for?  Or is all of your SMB data on LUNs?
>
> --bak

I always looked at it like CIFS/NFS = NAS and iSCSI/Fiber Channel =
SAN.  But in doing due diligence in evaluating SAN/NAS, it appears ever
vendors interpretation is a bit different.  And they will utilize those
terms how they see fit when comparing competitors.  Oh, you don't want
them, their a NAS, while we're a SAN, etc.

Matt P.