[TriLUG] forum software as an alternative to email?

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Wed Aug 15 09:22:52 EDT 2007

Jason Herr wrote:
> If trilug is growing, why not look at using forum software for
> communication?  Many have rss feeds, so one could read it in
> thunderbird.   The biggest issue I've seen with mailing lists is the
> simple organizational one.   Large groups of people are dumber then
> small ones.  The odds of a smart-alec remark being offensive or
> misinterpreted increases.

Patience.  The mailing list software that TriLUG uses is working towards
a 3.0 version on the horizon (no, it is not close) and one of the
features that is being tossed around for that release is forum
integration.  So people who want the mailing list can use the mailing
list, but people who prefer a forum can still participate through that
method.  And it's all the same communications delivered through two
different methods.

The old archives should likely be importable into the forum.

This isn't happening *soon* but let's talk about it again next summer. :)