[TriLUG] Linux has taken over your home media!

Kevin J. mrkevinj at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 22 09:51:07 EDT 2007

I set up LMCE 0704 over the weekend on a SFF Shuttle pc I built a while back just for home theater use. The install was extremely simple (be prepared to let it run overnight, however, as the two LMCE disks take a looong time to install). There was even a guided video presentation hosted by an attractive woman with a european accent.

You'll need to have the supported hardware to really get the full functionality (as in the video), but the guy who created it has definitely thought this through. It has modules for controlling the environment, audio/video, alarm, and communications in every room of your house. It even recognizes certain VoIP carriers to (ostensibly) allow you to talk to others using a videophone while you're watching TV, for instance.

Now if they would just incorporate Joost running on Wine in to the UI, I'd be all set.

Kevin

It's not a bug, it's a *feature*!