[TriLUG] "The Linux Experience" at Dell, a tale of woe and wow. VERY LONG

Kevin J. mrkevinj at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 30 14:36:16 EDT 2007

Most of the call centers are in India, Canada, or South America now it seems. Dell and HP both caught a lot of flak several years ago after moving their enterprise phone support to India and quickly moved it back to the states (or to Canada and other "less conspicuous" localities). Man, that is so annoying to spend an hour on the phone with someone who barely comprehends the English language and makes you go through the same fifteen steps you already went through before placing the call.

Their on-site support is different, however. That is generally parceled out to regional contractors who pay a per-incident (or per-mileage) flat rate for "boots on the ground". It's rare to find one of those guys who really understands a particular product in-depth. I've had pretty good luck when it comes to IBM's AS400 support and HP isn't too bad. I don't think Dell has really caught on to the enterprise support game yet, but that may have changed in the past year or two (though I doubt it).

Kevin