[TriLUG] Rant: VISTA OMG PLEASE SHOOT ME

Maarten Lippmann m.w.lippmann at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 09:52:04 EDT 2007

Jim Ray wrote:
>> Want the best desktop? Try Fedora.
>
> [Jim Ray pontificates] er, Ubuntu ;-)

my 2 cents in the fedora/ubuntu wars.

I would say Debian Etch Xfce as your desktop.
But sometimes I think I'm the only triluger that doesn't use
fedora/redhat or (k)(x)(?)ubuntu for a desktop system.

Absolutely more stable than Ubuntu, waaay faster than all that
compiz/beryl stuff, even faster than gnome and kde and not as non-free
software friendly as ubuntu. (Ubuntu is as close as you can get to a
windows distribution in my opinion. People often don't know how much
proprietary closed source binaries there are on their ubuntubox)
And that whole sudo crap in ubuntu I can't handle. Give me root
without having to hack the system. (sudo passwd root)

Debian, the inventor of dpkg-fu for package management. Who doesn't
prefer that to rpm's.

And with a pretty desktop (xfce is awesome). Hell, I even have linux
people accusing me of my machine looking like a mac. (Christobal...)