[TriLUG] jffs/yaffs (v1,v2) on flash memory sticks?

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Sat Sep 8 14:34:55 EDT 2007

> I've been using ext3 on my flash memory sticks, without any
> problems, for carrying around temporary files. I'd assumed
> that wear leveling was being handled by the hardware.
> However I notice my WRT54GS running DD-WRT is using jffs.

Ext2 would be better on flash media, since it does not have to
write to the journal.  And you can use the "-o noatime" option
on "mount" to keep it from writing file access info to the
inodes every time someone reads a file.

You might also want to create RAM disks for /tmp and maybe
even /var.  This will require a startup script, but it's pretty
easy.  You might want to keep a skeleton /var somewhere (like
/var.tar.gz) and create the RAM disk, mount it on /var, and
then populate it.

This solution is so good, you can cook with it.  :-)

Alan

.