[TriLUG] [OT?} Alternate ISP

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Sun Sep 9 15:38:02 EDT 2007

I know that we periodically have this discussion, but I'm not looking
for TWC.

A few years ago, I signed up with Intrex Internet Services on the
strength of their support of TriLUG, and was satisfied with them for
quite a while.  However, things have been deteriorating lately, so I am
starting to look around.  Talking to friends at the stores, I hear that
IIS ( no, not that one! ) are having staff problems, and I get the
impression that the umbrella company is no longer interested in being an
ISP.

I am a DSL customer ( in BellSouth country ), and don't have access to
Cable ( and certainly not FIOS! ), so am looking for that service, but,
of course, with some or all of the bonus benefits that Intrex offered.
By the way, I am also somewhat dissatisfied with the $50+/month for
256/128 service that I am getting.

Since I a currently have a static IP ( one of the Intrex "bonuses" ),
and access to my DNS ( through e-mail ), I would like that to be
available in any alternative.  I provide my own SMTP, SSH and HTTP(S)
servers, so don't need those from anybody else, although, of course,
need those ports open. ( Intrex doesn't block any of my ports, as far as
I know. )

Now, for anybody who has made it through my long preamble, can you make
any suggestions, either better price for the same ( minimal ) service,
or better service for the same price?

Thanks,
Brian