[TriLUG] Rant: VISTA OMG PLEASE SHOOT ME

David Brain dbrain at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 22:05:16 EDT 2007

Hi,

On 9/10/07, Owen <oberry at trilug.org> wrote:
> On this topic of desktops, periodically I've tried running Xfce on both
> Gentoo and Fedora desktops, and it was faster and lighter than Gnome.
> However, I found myself using core Gnome applications in some
> situations, and in the end I don't think it was noticeably faster
> anymore. Did I miss something?  Maybe I've just been using Gnome for too
> long. Seems like there are still core Xfce specifc apps being developed
> and the platform needs to mature. Unless all you run is an xterm and
> firefox, in which case you may as well run something really light as you
> really don't need the extra functionality of Gnome/KDE/Xfce.

Not sure when you last tried it - but the latest revision bump, up to
4.4 added a few nice features, the main one being Thunar - which is a
pretty decent file manager app with hooks into hald so it picks up
things like USB sticks being inserted etc. Definitely nice to have for
the less expert user who doesn't necessarily want to do all their file
management from the CLI, while still avoiding Nautilus, which is
pretty heavy weight.  You do still end up running some gnome apps
(gnome-cups-manager springs to mind), but the fact that XFCE is gtk
based already probably means that this isn't a huge resource issue.

David.