[TriLUG] [OT?} Alternate ISP

Amnon amnon at deltaforce.net
Tue Sep 11 11:33:00 EDT 2007

> Right, the actual copper to DSLAM is all BS (and perhaps some of the
> other network infrastructure too), but I've had resold DSL before (not
> Triangle area) and the actual IP network was not the same as that
> owned by the local Bell - In this case all the IPs & routes were
> through Savis. They had their own separate DNS caches, also the actual
> DSL connection was just straight DHCP with no PPPOE layer.  It also
> had the advantage that it was a fairly small ISP, and if I emailed
> tech support I usually ended with their sysadmin calling me.

Right you are.  NTUSA (now gone) used to sell ADSL that way, using their own IP's,
DNS, etc.  but BS still charged something like $4.00 less than their standard
customer rate, without having to provide all these services. They always had to
talk with BS when problems came up anyway.  It is cheaper to get connectivity
directly from BS or TW, and have your email and everything else at an ISP like
Deltaforce.  Most of our customers do that these days.

I remember all the hardware and local loops that was needed to provide this
service, and I doubt it was ever profitable even with the added charges for added
services.